Want to write for us? We want to hear from you.
Who should submit?
CJBS News Blog is intended to be a space by and for graduate students of all Buddhist Studies specializations.
However, we also welcome submissions from interested people, including but not limited to:
- Academics including post-doctoral researchers, early career researchers, tenure- and non-tenure track academics, part- and full-time employed academics and professors with relevant research experiences.
- Non-academics who conduct independent research in Buddhist Studies.
What do we publish?
Anything that informs graduate students to better participate in the current academic conversations on Buddhist Studies in Canadian and international context. Entries sharing graduate students’ researching and teaching experiences are also welcome.
Your submission can fall into one or all of these categories below:
- Information/reflection on events related to Buddhist scholarship (particularly though not exclusively in Canada)
- New developments in graduate programs (particularly though not exclusively in Canada)
- Reflections on fieldwork experience
- Informal book reviews
- Critical reflection on secondary literature in Buddhist studies
- Graduate student experiences (e.g. challenges of teaching or TA work, mentorship, challenges related to employment prospects and career development)
The categories should be treated as suggestions instead of definite criteria. We are open to your stories and creativity as long as they align with the blog’s main purpose.
- Article length: Entries should be between 700-1000 words, though longer pieces up to 2000 words will also be considered depending on the topic.
- Submission deadline: For event reporting, we normally expect a draft three-week after the event date. While there is no deadline for other types of article, authors should contact the editors to discuss the date of submission.
- Contact point: Please send your articles to email@example.com as Microsoft Word-compatible files or PDF documents.
- Additional information: We will ask you for (a) a 50-200 word biographical note, including links to your website and social media if wanted for the directory of authors, (b) suggested keywords for your article and (c) CC-licensable image(s) (if applicable).
- Publishing options: You can publish directly under a registered user account with us or under the administrative account.
All articles are edited by a member of our editorial team and can be passed up to our Editor-in-Chief when needed. We’ll make suggested edits, and then send a copy back to you for approval. Only once you’re happy with the edits will we publish your work. All work is attributed to the author in accordance with their wishes.
While blogging with CJBS News is a volunteer position, we offer an annual honorarium to people who commit for a year and beyond as a token of appreciation.
Having more questions? Contact us!